Thursday, August 18, 2005

Now it starts

New Student Orientation began today with incoming students arriving and moving in to their dormitories. The new school year brings an overwhelming amount of positive energy, optimism and chaos. In the midst of it all, our new piano arrived today. I was apprehensive to play it and hear it in our recital hall, but it is gorgeous.

I was able to play it for about an hour this afternoon as I rehearsed with Trio Point Loma. As I played, I kept thinking about the piano and lost track of what I was doing musically. My ensemble partners were patient with me as always. My initial assessment: the tone seems quite even across its registers, clear but warm in its singing. It will be interesting to hear others play the instrument and to hear their reactions to its sound and feel.

No comments: